Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Monday 15th September 1958

Coming back to school after being suspended gave more attention that I'd ever gotten. And a lot more than I need. I already got enough before the incident and because of foolish Char and her idiotic idea, people be giving me nasty stares. The twins have already been suspended and I ain't see no sight of Char anywhere. Twins be telling me Char's sister, Juju sent her to live with her grandparent's over at Alabama. Walking through hallways without her there feels like heaven. I ain't barely been teased today. In fact I actually got a note from somebody, somebody special to my heart. I walked toward my locker to find Caleb be standing there. I asked him what he doing and he said to me "Oh i just be leaving, here's something, but open it when I'm gone." I couldn't help but blush and before I could answer back he walked away. I opened up the note to find a poem. A poem written for me. Somebody actually wrote me a letter for me, chocolate coloured, skinny girl, me.

As I read that poem, tears be falling from my face, from my 'sweet dark chocolate' skin. I looked back into the mirror and saw a pretty girl. I saw a whole different Maleeka, a whole different personality. I be looking happier and I looked like I could actually fit in. Well, that what I saw in my eyes. In the eyes I just needed to use properly this whole time. That was exactly what daddy be telling me all the time. To look at me with my eyes not nobody else. I be hanging up both poems from the two boys in my life that inspire me, inspire me to become a better person. I'll hang them side-to-side, where they belong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9nSU2hAqK4&feature=related - Natural Woman - Aretha Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment