Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Monday 1st September 1958

The moment I walked into class all eyes were on me. People were asking 'bout my haircut. They asked me why I don't have no more hair. They be acting like they don't like it but I be thinking they secretly do. I expected this from all of them but it ain't nothing new. They all be criticising me. By fourth period I be wearing the baseball cap I brought from home just in case. Teachers tell me to take it off in class, but I make up some flimsy excuse and they believe them. People be running up to me all day, yanking off my cap and making jokes about my "peanut head". I really don't get it. I thought I looked good and I love my new cut. I think it's a new style, a new me. A new me that ain't gonna let nobody tease me.

I thought of Daddy today. I knew he would have wanted me to be redoubtable and for me to stay strong. I have what he used to say to me, stuck in my head. "Maleeka, you got to see yourself with your own eyes!" I know I be saying this too much but I really do wish he was still here to tell me that. Still picturing him say that makes me feel better but him being here would be the greatest. I'm sure with him I would be so much stronger. Momma ain't do that to me. She ain't be encouraging me much at all. That job, she left for Daddy.




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSx9V4ftX8k - Black Night - Charles Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment